This is what I learned in August 2021:
- Processing a pretty old item from my TODO-list, I created an article about local variable type inference in Java.
Books I read:
- Enjoying the great “Bobiverse” books created by Dennis E. Taylor, I finished “For We Are Many”, the second book. The storyline gets more complex and the problems more philosophical. Nevertheless, it’s still an easy read.
This is what I’m working on right now / planning to do in the near future / other stuff:
- The online developer speaker mentoring is continuing and developed into one of those relaxed, enjoyable meetings I’m looking forward to because of the good discussions with fellow software developers.
- The recreation of my personal web page with Jekyll is still in process. I found help for the migration away from Drupal, which is the main body of work at the moment. As soon as that is done, I can get creative again and build additional aspects into my new homepage.
- The HackTalk, one of my oldest still running endeavours, is evolving again. I added an Atom feed to the page and an .ical-file to download the most recent event into your calendar. Yes, this is pretty common stuff and no, it was not there before. To ease the creation of a new HackTalk event, I will write a simple generator for the feed and the .ical-file. Besides that, there is a newsletter form on the website. If someone should enter their email address, I will create a newsletter for the HackTalk events. That part is mostly an experiment to check if it makes sense to add this kind of notification service. Besides these technical changes, I decided to make the event online-only. The Corona virus forced us all into massive amounts of online meetings, including HackTalk. Originally, I planned to go back to onsite-only events after things went back to “normal”. Later, when seeing that online events are also working nicely, I planned on organizing hybrid events (online and on-site). Now, however, I see the possibility to reach more developers with an online-only format. Let’s see how that plays out.
- Speaking of HackTalk, I will present my home office hardware setup on September 7th.